Posted to rec.woodworking
diggerop diggerop is offline

Default O/T: One Down

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"diggerop" wrote:

Perth. About a three hour trip ..... legally.

How does that boat handle when "The Doctor" comes up in the afternoon?

Lew

It's good up to about 25 knots. After that it becomes hard work. It's an old
hull, locally designed and built AFAIK, much heavier than most of similar
size, with a deep cast iron keel. No signs of blistering or osmosis.
Beautifully balanced and easy to sail single-handed. Sadly, it has no
character when compared to the previous yacht I had.
That was a 30' double-ender, the last of T Harrison Butler's designs
(C1918.) Launched in 1948. Full length keel, Jarrah from the waterline
down, Douglas Fir above the waterline. Masthead rig. 7 tons fully rigged.
Set up for single handed sailing, was a *very* good heavy weather boat.
Suffered badly from weather helm. Have had her out in a storm with gusts up
to 55 knots. Everyone else had run for port, only me and "The Leeuwin," ( a
three masted barquentine,) left out there - both of us under bare poles.
Most fun I'd had in years. : )
Took her out of the water after 3 years with the intention of refurbishing
her. The hull was basically sound, all but 2 ribs were ok, however, almost
everything else including the deck, cabin and mast needed repair and
replacement.
Had no idea at the time what an enormous task I'd set myself. What I thought
would take me a few months was in reality, two years minimum to do it
properly. I couldn't afford to let my contracting business stand idle for
that amount of time, so I sold her as is to someone that was retired and
felt they could complete it.
She was a lovely old thing. (I've put a couple of photo's up, before and
after shots.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32473839@N02

diggerop