Posted to sci.electronics.repair
D Yuniskis D Yuniskis is offline

Default Rank Arena Widescreen CRT

Sylvia Else wrote:
I bought this on Ebay for $5.50 on the off chance that I could fix it.
It was described as having lost picture with a "pop", and with the
observation that a TV repairman said it sounded like it could be a power
supply issue.

I've determined that the sound works OK, as does the tuner and video
signal stage - it outputs the composite video on an AV out socket.

It's clear what produced the "pop" noise.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/sylviae/tv1.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/sylviae/tv2.jpg

The diode *looks* OK. Though it seems like there
might be a wire or maybe some "glue fibers" draped
across it?

Presumably this diode shorted out. It's on a board close the EHT circuitry.

I'd look at the switching transistor (HOT) first.

But what are the chances that that's all that's wrong with it? Just
getting the board out to gain access to the underside will be a fairly
major exercise.

grin You should see what a nuisance some of the high end
Sony monitors are (were?) to service! :