Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default wiring code ? for a detached garage

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message
On Nov 9, 3:21 pm, dpb wrote:
jamesgangnc wrote:

Uf does not have to be buried but I can't say for sure if my putting
it under a deck is acceptable or not. The deck joists are 2x10's and
I have stapled the uf on the inside of one up close to the decking.
So it would be very difficult to damage.

I don't have a problem w/ it assuming as you say it's well protected;
but then again, I'm not your local inspector...

The problem with conduit is then I have to transition to the inside
wiring. That means an accessible box at each end inside the two
structures where the conduit cables can be spliced to normal 14/2 and
14/2. Or running the conduit inside the walls all the way to the
boxes. Not very practical on the house side because it is all old
work. Just seemed a lot simpler to use the uf so I could run all the
way.

Which harkens back to my comment earlier about workmanship. What are
you doing at the entrance(s) now and where are these penetrations?

Would seem there would be the termination/transition points.

--

Penetration is 3/4" holes drilled through the framing. Both sides
have 2 by lumber inside, 1/2" sheathing, and 2 by pt lumber outside.

The UF cable is fine. It must be protected from physical damage, which
you've done by stapling it on to the side of the framing.