Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default O/T: One Down

wrote:
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 07:25:40 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Australian-rules football is plenty tough (I think knives are
limited to 6" or less). But have you ever heard of an MRI machine at
an Australian stadium? Several of our pansy-football stadiums have a
machine readily available.

Not sure what your point is about the MRI machine, but again, it could
only be because they can afford it. If it's for saving life, then more
people would be saved by donating that MRI machine to some local
medical clinic.

It's not for saving a life - it's for diagnosing an injury (that may be life
saving). I suspect that MRI machines at football stadiums are virtually
never used (maybe once a year?). The people who own the MRI machine don't
WANT to donate it to the community health center. They use it (possibly) to
protect their players which makes more money for the owners which allows
them to donate to worthy causes far in excess of one MRI machine. The poor
can't even take care of themselves, let alone contribute to the well-being
of others.

Naturally the question then becomes, who has the
greatest right to life ~ the football player or the pregnant mother
who has recently experienced a car accident.

Arguing from a false premise. Every mandated right implies a duty on the
part of someone else. If the pregnant mother had a "right" of any kind, a
duty is simultaneously imposed on others. Inasmuch as we reject the imposed
duty, if follows she has no "right" to life - or anything else - at our
expense.

Yes, there's certainly
more money involved with the football player, but there' also more
humanity involved with the pregnant mother. Unfortunately, "humanity"
doesn't count for much, at least not as much as hoped.

This hash was settled in the late 18th Century with the publication of the
"Wealth of Nations" by Adam Smith. In it he postulated "The Invisble Hand"
which, simply, means that when everyone acts to improve their own personal
condition, the overall condition of society, humanity, improves.

Some people just need to keep up.