Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] upscale@teksavvy.com is offline

Default O/T: One Down

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 13:31:20 -0800, "DGDevin"
wrote:

Because if it isn't glass, they are near useless to me. Last pair of
plastic lenses I had lasted about 6 hours.

I stuck with glass lenses until quite recently, but I've used plastic lenses
the past few years and they've been fine. I clean the lenses only under
running water and so far scratches haven't been a problem. I certainly like
how much lighter glasses with plastic lenses are.

I had the same problem too, insisting on glass lenses every time until
about two years back. The glass ones eventually started taking several
weeks to be ordered in ~ that's if they were available at all. Then a
plastic lens set I bought and usually cleaned with my shirtsleeve got
permanently scratched within 6 months of use.

Now when I buy plastic lensed glasses, the first option I insist on is
that they be the most scratch resistant possible. That usually means
there's an extra option box to be checked, but at least they don't
scratch when using my sleeve to clean and make it look like I'm
looking at a foggy day out.

The added bonus is that they're extremely light and not subject to
breaking or chipping when the get accidentally dropped to the floor.