Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] keithw86@gmail.com is offline

Default O/T: One Down

On Nov 9, 3:31*pm, "DGDevin" wrote:
CW wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
CW wrote:
Went to the site and it looked real good until I saw that they only
do plastic lenses. Leaves me out.

I'm curious--why does it leave you out?

Because if it isn't glass, they are near useless to me. Last pair of
plastic lenses I had lasted about 6 hours.

I stuck with glass lenses until quite recently, but I've used plastic lenses
the past few years and they've been fine. *I clean the lenses only under
running water and so far scratches haven't been a problem. *I certainly like
how much lighter glasses with plastic lenses are.

The DOs I've gone to have done everything but refuse to prescribe
glass lenses for me. I raised objections to plastic because I don't
treat glasses well, but was told not think about glass lenses as
safety glasses. They've both told me that I'd be far better off with
the scratch resistant coatings. The manufacturers will replace them
if scratched (SWMBO has had hers replaced in the last couple of months
- dropped them on the driveway). The pair I use for working around
the house is two years old and is now pretty badly scratched. My
every day set is OK after a year. I plan on replacing the lenses in
my "work" set the next time I go in. I like the frames better anyway.

My first DO told me the best cleaning solution was water and dish
detergent - the dollar store variety. Hand soaps and some ritzy dish
detergents have skin conditioners in them that will smear on the
lenses.

I looked at the site posted earlier but didn't see anything like what
I have. My lenses are pretty large (58mmx48mm) to accommodate large
computer displays (CAD) without turning my head. I use bifocals set
for medium distance on top (18" or so) and reading (~12") on the
bottom. I don't need glasses for distance but do work on a computer
~12 hours a day.