Posted to rec.woodworking

Default CLEAR hardwood finishes? -- moisture cure, etc.

Could be perception. Could be UV protection in the film finish. Could
be yellowing of finish offsets fading of wood. etc. etc.

On Nov 8, 3:50*pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 14:58:38 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"

wrote:
I'm glad your experience has been good but Red Oak "can" fade in
sunlight. Here is one reference, at the bottom of the page under
disadvantages.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5382791_re...-flooring.html

Not disbelieving here, but I have a sunny staircase made of red oak.
After 18 years it doesn't appear to have changed color at all and if
it has it is not disagreeable. *My cupboards are red oak too.
Certainly cheaper than cherry. *For a floor I'd prefer the harder
quarter-sawn white oak, much better at water resistance too.

Varathane is an excellent clear finish for floors--the ad says "Tough
enough to skate on."