Posted to rec.woodworking
diggerop diggerop is offline

Default Some results of experimenting with soap stone. (Prelude to carving details in wood.)

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Nov 9, 11:16 am, "diggerop" toobusy@themoment wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

3HP spindle on a 1/16" ball nose bit. 2"/second feed rate. That gets
kind of hairy as soapstone can have some hard veins in it.
The goal of this experiment was to get acceptable detail at fast
cutting/feed rates. Detail can be increased by smaller step-over
rates.
I'm reasonably satisfied.

After cutting, I coated the stone with FrogJuice. A clear coating out
of a rattle can.

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o...=view&current=...

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/Detail-1.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../FrogJuice.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...lativesize.jpg

That is impressive. And you can increase the detail? Amazing. My wife
would
love it. .......... now ...... will I show her or not? ........... : )

A question; I have no idea what size the coin in the last photo would
be, -
could you post the diameter as a reference?

diggerop

It is a quarter. 0.94" or 23.88 mm if you're so inclined. *S* I
haven't worked it out in microcubits because my calculator ran out of
yak oil....and without yak oil, my yak won't work the treadmill.

I just sold a couple of desk name plates to be carved out of soapstone
for two executives. (I didn't really want to do this for those pompous
*******s, but when I said the price, they said..ohh..okay.)

Good on yer. : ) ....and thank you

diggerop