Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark[_8_] Mark[_8_] is offline

Default Diverter issue with older Moen Tub/shower faucet

I have a 30 year old Moen single knob faucet on my tub with a 'button'
diverter for the shower. The button is a sort of a 'plunger' located just
under the knob that you push in to divert to the shower. It is suppose to
pop back out when you turn the water off.

The tub gets limited use since the kids have moved out and when a visitor
used the tub they reported the button was difficult to push in the 1st time
and never popped back out. I've worked with it to try and get it working to
no avail.

I'm wondering if I can replace the tub spigot with one with a pull-up
diverter so the shower is usable. Will that kind of diverter work with the
Moan faucet? I'd replace the faucet but a remodeling job since it was put
in has made access to replacing impossible from the back, so I'd have to
tear into the tiled wall to replace it. I know I'll have to do it
eventually, but hate to have to do it for this problem since the faucet
itself still works well.