Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Render DVDs Unusable?

Pete C. wrote:
Douglas Johnson wrote:
"Mark" wrote:

My new shredder handles CDs, but before that I used a sharpie to scribble
all over the CD.

Alcohol cleans sharpie off very easily. My shredder turns CDs into tiny bright
confetti. I'd bet against NSA getting data off it. -- Doug

I'd bet *on* the NSA or other similarly equipped groups being able to
get data off of your CD/DVD confetti. Granted the data at the cut points
is unlikely to be recoverable, but given the data density of the media,
each piece of confetti would probably yield a sizable amount of data in
their hands. If you need true security, you need to totally destroy the
data layer, probably via chemical treatment of the confetti bits, or
incineration of the remains.

Sandblasting or grinding of the data side works well. Once the layer
with the pits is dust, ain't nothing gonna put it back together.

--
aem sends...