Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default attach a coaxial cable jack

Jan Philips wrote:
On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 06:06:13 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

No, that is for real radios, and real coax. The ones you want are for
type F, either RG-6, or more likely RG-59.

Is one of these the older style? The cable is the older style.

RG-59 is the old residential standard, because it was cheap, thin, and
flexible. When Cable/Satt and HD came along, they needed better signal
quality, so they switched to the thicker RG-6. Current standard is
RG-6Q, for Quad Shield. If you are just on an antenna, the RG-59 should
be fine for now, and may work even if you get fancier TVs and signal
sources later, if it was carefully installed. At some point, if you have
problems, you may want to replace selected runs of the 59 with 6.
Hopefully, the EE didn't staple it to any studs, or run it around any
tight corners, so you can just attach the new cable to one end, and pull
it back through using the old cable as a pull cord. Premade RG-6Q cables
with good compression fittings are widely available in 25, 50, and 100
foot coils. Being lazy, if I ever get around to rewiring this place,
that is what I will probably use. A decent compression tool costs a lot
more than a crimper, and I hate to buy expensive tools for a 1-time job.
(Unless I can sweet-talk the satt guy at work into letting me borrow the
company tool kit for a weekend, or something...)

--
aem sends...