Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com is offline

Default attach a coaxial cable jack

Jan Philips wrote:

I need to attach one coaxial cable jack. I've never done it before
but I know the idea. I don't have a crimping tool. Can it be crimped
well enough with pliers instead of a proper crimping tool?

Only this type of connector, with a separate ferrule (crimp ring), can
be secured with pliers.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-0145-/33-0145

With the ferrule over the cable end, slightly crush it, taking care
not to deform the connector or cable, and then pinch one of the
protruding sides. If you use a round crimping tool for this, there
will be 2 pinches, on opposite sides, but when using pliers it's
easier to just pinch one side. If you use pliers with a connector
having a built-in ferrule, even a short one, including the type
designed to break away, most likely the conector will be bent into a
saddle, and you won't be able to screw it tight. A hexagonal crimping
tool will not work very well with narrow (1/8") ferrules, only with
wider ones.

The more common F-connectors have a long built-in ferrule, like this:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...Y-MCM-/33-8770

It cannot be secured with pliers but only a hexagonal crimper. Get a
tool at least 1/4" wide, similar to the $20 Radio Shack model, not
their $10 one. The narrower tool will give poor hex crimps. Most
hex crimpers are made for 2 sizes of ferrules, and you need the larger
size for these connectors, the smaller size for the connectors having
separate ferrules.

Video and TV systems use 75 ohm cable, and RG59 and RG6 cables are 75
ohms. RG58 is 50 ohms and is wrong for TV. Also match the connectors
to the type of cable - use RG59 with RG59 cable, RG6 with RG6 cable
(there are also RG6QS double-shielded cables and connectors). RG58
connectors are slightly too large for RG59 cable.