Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Electrical Question

On Nov 6, 11:16*am, "ROANIN" wrote:
I have a garage that is fed with a 3 wire feed from one pole transformer and
my house is same from a different pole transformer. Both locations have a
ground rod attached to the box. *The cable TV is connected to both sites
using a splitter. ( This was installed by the cable company before I bought
the house) Is this a possible ground problem? The cable eventually connects
the shield to the ground of each television in both locations. Saw a similar
post the other day that got me thinking.....

Roanin

Stuff happens and this arrangement may makes stuff somewhat more
likely to happen.

A house may last your lifetime and never need the ground connection
that was provided for it. What happens if one day that ground is
called upon to do its duty and the only path it has is through your TV
set, cable box cable modem and various other equipment out in the
garage. For audio there are isolation transformers commercially
available made to handle the situation you describe. I dont know if
there is anything available to isolate a cable TV signal
commercially.Perhaps googling TV isolation transformer may return
something.

Jimmie