Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Render DVDs Unusable?

CWLee wrote:

I have a number of DVDs containing computer backup information of a
sensitive nature. I plan to throw away the older ones, but first I want
to render the data on them irretrievable. Can anyone here recommend a
quick, cheap, easy way to do that? I've heard that drilling 2 or 3 1/4"
holes in them does the trick, but that is just a rumor to me. What
about placing them, one at a time, in a vice, half clamped tight and the
other half then struck hard with a hammer - hoping to break it in half?

Suggestions and experience reports appreciated.

Microwave oven. Try it, you'll like the light show.

TDD