Posted to alt.home.repair

Default self-cleaning water heaters

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 10:36:17 -0800, JRStern
wrote:

I see Home Depot has a line of GE/Rheem gas water heaters:

* 40 gallon, 6 year warranty, $488
* 38 gallon, 9 year warranty, self-cleaning, $498
* 40 gallon, 12 year warranty, self-cleaning, $578

Other specs seem the same.

My question is, what does this self-cleaning mean, and is it likely
that the extra bucks for the 12-year is a good investment?

(given that I'll also be paying to have them install it, which given
venting and access issues will at least double the cost, the extra $80
isn't a big deal, but I'm still curious about it)

The "self cleaning" means it has a "turbulator" inlet - basically the
inlet tube goes to the bottom of the tank and then makes an arc around
the outer circumference of the tank - water coming in agitates the
water in the bottom of the tank reducing sediment deposits.

As for the 9 vs 12 year warranty it's basically just a better
"insurance policy" - tank is in most respects the same. Might have an
additional anode in the 12 year tank. For less than $30 a year I'd be
REAL tempted to spring for the 12 year tank.