Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Painting basement walls and floor

Bob wrote:
I own an older(90+ years) home with a basement(completely unfinished
concrete floor- concrete walls-quite a bit of wooden areas such as interior
walls/posts/storage closets/etc)

I am going to paint the floor and walls.

I figured on using a gray color for the floors, but was unsure about the
color to use for the concrete walls and wood surfaces.

II have good lighting down there so that's not a problem.

I thought about white or light green for the vertical surfaces. Any pro's
and con's on either or any other ideas would be very much appreciated.

I think I am "on track" in terms of type of paint/preparation/etc. but can
always use the excellent information I receive on this site.

Again any ideas on preparation,etc would also be appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob

I painted basement floor of my then new house 35 years ago with a Sears
acrylic floor paint. I pre-etched the floor with muriatic acid. Paint
is still original and has held up well. Walls were painted white and
still look good. I've had to patch a few settlement cracks in the
concrete blocks and could finish over with any white paint. Floor does
not get heavy use but in previous house I painted garage floor and that
was a mistake as cars wore through paint. If your basement gets heavy
use I'd probably go for an epoxy type finish.