Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default No sound output on abit IP35 Pro MB with Realtek Audio

On 07 Nov 2009 13:17:35 -0500, (Samuel M.
Goldwasser) wrote:

I was given a PC with an abit IP35 Pro MB with Realtek Audio which works
in every respect expect there isn't any sound from any output.

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=IP35+Pro&fMTYPE =LGA775

Latest BIOS?
http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/download/download_bios_detail.php?pFILE_TYPE=Bios&pMAIN_TYP E=Motherboard&pTITLE_ON_SCREEN=IP35+Pro&pSOCKET_TY PE=LGA775

Do you have the sound chip enabled in the CMOS setup?

Does it go "ding" from the spkr during bootup?

Go unto:
Control Panel - Sound and Audio - Audio
and make sure the speaker output is coming from the Realtek chip.

Duz the Microphone/Audio input work or is it also kaput? Use the
Sound Recorder for testing.

I'm running
XP with SP3 and, yes, all the volume controls are all the way up, nothing
is muted, and the speakers work fine on the PC sitting right next to it.
I installed the latest audio drivers (though no others since everything
else works) from the abit Web site at:
http://tinyurl.com/9sqrfn

The only anomoly is an unrecognized device in Device Manager, but it
isn't under Sound Devices. Of course with Windoze, anything is possible!

That could be it. Duz the unrecognized device had a device ID? If
it's not recognized, it will be listed under "Unrecognized Devices"
not under Sound Devices. Try:
http://www.halfdone.com/ukd/
and see if you can identify what the Device Mgr is complaining about.
My guess(tm) is that's the problem.

Google turns up a number of problems that sound (no pun...) similar.

There is one about XP SP3 causing a problem with the UAA (Universal
Audio Architecture?) but that seems to not recognize the audio hardware
at all.

Dunno. I don't think so.

Here, everything is working but nothing coming out.

Check the CMOS setup and see if there's a setting for redirecting the
sound from the rear to the front panel. There seems to be some kind
of automagic sound output redirection, depending on which 3.5mm jack
has the spkr attached, on the Abit board.

Also, make sure the audio settings are for commodity 2 channel stereo,
not 7.1 "HD" audio, which the board supports.

There seems to be a pin header on the board that goes to front panel
audio. Is this connector backwards (my favorite screwup)?

Last resort. RTFM:
http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/download/download_manual_detail.php?pFILE_TYPE=Manual&pMAIN _TYPE=Motherboard&pTITLE_ON_SCREEN=IP35+Pro&pSOCKE T_TYPE=LGA775

--
Jeff Liebermann