Posted to rec.woodworking

Default CLEAR hardwood finishes? -- moisture cure, etc.

I'm glad your experience has been good but Red Oak "can" fade in
sunlight. Here is one reference, at the bottom of the page under
disadvantages.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5382791_re...-flooring.html

On Nov 7, 7:41*am, Luigi Zanasi wrote:
On Nov 6, 4:37*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

I'm a furniture guy not a floor guy but I can tell you that for
natural color on Red Oak you should add some stain. Some woods darken
but red oak will fade to white. Just use Minwax Natural. It looks like
nothing but the color change you get from wet or a clear finish but it
will stay that color. Raw oak will fade. If you put on a truly non-
yellowing finish you likely won't be happy if you have much sun
hitting the floor.

I respectfully disagree. I have an unstained red oak hardwood floor I
installed in 1990. It has not faded. It was finished with a waterbased
Swedish finish then and we had it sanded & refinished with a similar
product 2 years ago by the same guy who did the original finishing.

On Nov 6, 11:17*am, "JayB" wrote:

snip
Are water-based polyurethane finishes okay for hardwood floors? *Are they
durable enough compared to oil-based polyurethanes? *Are there any special
cleaning requirements or instructions for water-based finishes that are
different than for oil-based polyurethane finishes?

The answer your first two questions is yes, and no to the third,
depending on the product of course. I would suggest trying to buy a
professional product rather than a big box store stuff.

Can I later cover a water-based polyurethane finish with an oil-based
polyurethane finish? *I think the answer to that one is "no", but I thought
I would ask anyway.- Hide quoted text -