Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default self-cleaning water heaters

"JRStern" wrote in message
I see Home Depot has a line of GE/Rheem gas water heaters:

* 40 gallon, 6 year warranty, $488
* 38 gallon, 9 year warranty, self-cleaning, $498
* 40 gallon, 12 year warranty, self-cleaning, $578

Other specs seem the same.

My question is, what does this self-cleaning mean, and is it likely
that the extra bucks for the 12-year is a good investment?

Water heaters are prone to sediment buildup that slows flow and causes other
problems over time. The self cleaning eliminates the need for draining the
bottom to clear the sediment. Has to do with the way the water circulates
in the tank.

Does it make a difference? Worth the price? That depends on the quality of
your water and how much solids can separate into the tank.

Is the 12 year a better deal? If you assume the heater will last the
warranty period, the annual cost of ownership is a bit less.