Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Building Collapse....

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"mike" wrote in message

Sorry. I meant to agree with Robert, but my computer hiccupped. So,
I guess I'll re-iterate (again) that it's amazing the building didn't
crumble more.

I suspect that the reason it gives that appearance is because the

buildings
collapse was cushioned a bit in the soft mud, allowing the stresses to

snap
things sequentially as it fell rather than an explosion where the energy

is
applied all at once.

Yeah but . . . (-: Many of the windows didn't even break. That's just
bizarre. I wonder what the "rate of descent" was. I guess if it tipped over
gradually enough there wasn't a big slam at the end, but still, it's a
pretty amazing site. Or sight. Or even cite. Thanks for posting that,
Jeff.

I guess I am used to seeing collapsed buildings in the aftermath of
earthquakes where the buildings fall because they are shaken apart. The
Shanghai building didn't have to endure any pre-collapse shaking and I am
betting the ground gave way slowly and the pilings appear to have bent
before they broke, asborbing both time and energy and moderating the forces
on the building. Still, what a ride that must have been. Sounds like a
project for Disney World. Here are some random EQ photos, FWIW:

http://images.google.com/images?q=japanese+earthquakes

--
Bobby G.