Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Distributing satellite TV around the house

Arfa Daily wrote:

I have a trunked distribution system in my house, that I put in some
years ago. It uses quality twin screen cable, and professional amplifiers
and tapper units. The analogue signals are nothing short of perfect at
every drop. The digital signals, however, are extremely variable at
various points. The situation was improved by replacing my existing group
'A' aerial with a broadband type, but even so, when the analogue
transmissions in my area cease, I will probably have to give the system a
major rework, with new amplifiers etc, to achieve the same level of
'goodness' of signal at each drop.

Even low quality wall sockets, can have a profound effect on digital
signals, that wasn't apparent on analogue ones. Don't believe all the
hype about how 'perfect' digital terrestrial signals are. They are
actually a lot less forgiving than you might think. It doesn't take an
awful lot to upset them, particularly whilst the power levels of the
transmitters carrying them, are still low ...

Well your experience is 100% opposite to mine. Digital terrestrial through
a distribution amp is perfectly as good as the analogue was.

If you have a decent amp, cable and socket quality is almost irrelevant.
If you have wired them up correctly of course,

But then perhaps I know what I am doing ;-)

Ah. I see. My almost 40 years in the trade says I don't then ... Fair
enough. Do you know what a trunked distribution system is ?

Whether or not an existing system works (well) or not depends on many
things, including the antenna installation, any masthead preamps involved,
any combiners or diplexers involved, the quality of the cable used for the
drops to the various rooms, and that of the trunk cable if it happens to be
that sort of system, the age and quality of the distribution or trunk driver
amplifier, the quality of the wall sockets, the quality of the tappers on a
trunked system, and of course, how good the digital signal is in the first
place - both strength and quality, of course.

Most analogue distribution systems did not need to broadband. Digital ones
do.

But then I guess you know all that ... d;~}

Arfa