Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Rotary Hammer questions

On Nov 6, 1:06*pm, MiamiCuse wrote:
When purchasing a rotary hammer, they come with either SDS, SDS-Plus
or SDS-max. *I understand SDS-max is a different slot system, but
there seems to be no visible difference between SDS and SDS-plus. *Is
there?

Also, what does the size mean in a rotary hammer? *For example *a 1"
SDS-plusŪ BULLDOG Xtreme Rotary Hammer what does the 1" mean? *It is
totally unrelated to the actual bit sizes, I mean you do not buy a bit
that is rated for a 1" hammer or a 7/8" hammer, so what is the
significance of the size of a hammer?

Thanks,

MC

MC-

I find the chuck style designations confusing. I have a small rotary
hammer (Milwaukee Falcon) and a larger (midsized) Hilti TE-54

Originally the TE-54 used TE-Y type bits (& years ago were referred to
as Hilti SDS) but this are now also referred to as SDS Max

The Falcon (when I got it was referred to as SDS Plus or SDS+)

all of which I still find confusing........whenever I go to buy a bit
for a particular tool, I either bring matching bit to compare or, if
buying online, I double / triple check to make sure the chuck style is
correct.

I believe you are correct, in that now, SDS & SDS Plus (SDS+) are the
same and used on smaller capacity hammers.
Larger hammers use SDS Max (the old / current Hilti TE-Y chuck system)

I routinely use my Falcon (nominal 3/4" hammer drill) to drill 5/32"
thru 5/8" holes in concrete but I've also used it to drill 7/8" & 1"
holes as well. The larger / longer bits will tax the capacity of the
tool.

If I need to drill LARGE holes, deep holes or lots of smaller (like
1/2 to 3/4"), I'd use the TE-54. But for a small number of holes or
smaller diameter I like the easy handling of the Falcon.

With the TE-54 I've drilled holes as large as 1 5/8" x 12" in concrete
but these were clearly beyond the normal capacity of the TE-54 and I
should have used a Hilti water cooled diamond coring system, but I
only need to drill 5 holes.

You CAN use larger bits in a small capacity tool if you dont over do
it.

I've used Milwaukee, Hilti & Bosch rotary hammers and Hilti's have
been the best; long trouble free service and fastest drillling. Bosch
have been the worst.

cheers
Bob