Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Light switches

On Nov 6, 4:39*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"gcotterl" wrote in message

I have an L-shaped hallway with:

* * a ceiling light in the middle of each leg
* * a light switch at the end of each leg
* * a light switch at the intersection.

Several years ago, I used to be able to turn the lights on and off
from any switch. *But now the lights can be turned on and off by only
one switch (at the end of one leg).

In previous attempts to resolve this problem, I replaced all of the
switches but I didn't record what wires went to each terminal.

Question: *What kind of new switches do I need (single-pole, 3-way, 4-
way) and how many of each?

How do I determine what wire connects to each terminal of each switch?

Whenever a system like this craps out, the problem is invariably the 4 way
switch. They just don't seem to be made as well as single poles or 3 ways,
possibly because of it's switching complexity. For this reason I wouldn't
advise using a 4 way anywhere that it's not required. It's also more
expensive

Hmm, I found an old snappy style 4-way at the base of the stairs when
I replaced it (could have been a three way, but apparently builders
used a 4-way because that's what they had the only reason I replaced
it was that the girl didn't like brown switches. It appears to have
been there since the late 40's. I still have it in my junk box...

or is this one "don't make 'em like they used to" kind of deals?

nate