Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Weatherproofing tips

"Jules" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 08:57:40 -0500, Robert Green wrote:
We also found lots of places where the
joists rest on the cinderblocks where bugs have been getting in. We

figured
that out by the number of spider balls and webs surrounding areas where

it
looks like there's just crushed stone filling the gaps above the
cinderblocks.

Our basement is a bit like that, too - although the walls are poured
concrete, but it's a bit rough at the top where the joists meet. The gaps
aren't particularly large, but the roughness will make it a time-consuming
job to caulk or use foam (plus I don't like foam for anything except as a
last resort).

Why not? I've used it around doors I've put in with great success. I have
been warned by the window installers never to use it on windows because it
can affect their abililty to glide smoothly but for filling up rough holes
like the joist ends, I would think it would ideal, if terrible looking. (-:

I'm thinking some form of sealer that I can brush on would be best, but
I've not looked into what's out there yet.

So, two questions. When there aren't any tell-tale signs like spider
webs, how do you determine where the leaks are?

I could feel 'em on the back of my hand. But I'm just going to seal around
the whole lot anyway, just to be sure.

I think I might be tempted to try the fan/smoke stick approach. I sure hope
we have one more warm day before winter sets in!

--
Bobby G.