Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Wheel torque specs

On Nov 6, 9:16*am, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 00:38:08 -0500, mm wrote:
On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 21:58:09 -0600, AZ Nomad
wrote:
On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 22:46:25 -0500, mm wrote:
On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 14:55:50 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Nov 4, 4:26?pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
This was posted on another newsgroup but is of interest for many here alsohttp://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/brochure/info/tmpInfoWheelTo...

If your car is in the garage attached to your house, the post is ON topic.

I don't torque *my lugnuts. *I torque my house.

Have you ever seen anyone work on your car check lug nut torque? *The
only thing I have ever seen is an air impact wrench blasting them
tight.

Harbor Freight sent me one of their endless catalogs, this one with a
device to, it claims, provide 30 times as much torque to remove
lugnuts. * For 20 dollars. * I'll admit, I needed it once, in 45
years, and ruined a tire when I couldnt get it off to put on the
spare. *But I guess that is no reason to buy one now. *But if I
changed tires for other people it might be worht it, if it works.

How the **** do you ruin a tire while removing lugnuts?

I didn't do it then. *I did it when I had to drive the gas station
with the flat tire still on.

If you want a better tool to remove lugnuts, get a 1/2" breaker bar
and a socket.

Is that really as good as this?:
I doubt it.

Unless you are a toddler, you can easily generate 4-500 ft-lbs jumping on
a 18" breaker bar. *That'll loosen any lugnut.

Assuming this is made well enough that it won't break soon.

That's the problem. *I doubt it would work twice before
breaking. *It a ratchet can't take that kind of torque,
why would you expect that toy's mechanism to be able to
take it?- Hide quoted text -

"...you can easily generate 4-500 ft-lbs jumping on a 18" breaker
bar. That'll loosen any lugnut."

....or snap any lug.

Jerking a wrench on *any* nut is a great way to snap *any* bolt.