Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Light switches

"N8N" wrote in message
On Nov 6, 10:35 am, gcotterl wrote:
I have an L-shaped hallway with:

a ceiling light in the middle of each leg
a light switch at the end of each leg
a light switch at the intersection.

Several years ago, I used to be able to turn the lights on and off
from any switch. But now the lights can be turned on and off by only
one switch (at the end of one leg).

In previous attempts to resolve this problem, I replaced all of the
switches but I didn't record what wires went to each terminal.

Question: What kind of new switches do I need (single-pole, 3-way, 4-
way) and how many of each?

How do I determine what wire connects to each terminal of each switch?

You need two three way switches and one four way (or you can use three
four way switches and just disregard one terminal on each.)

To determine how to hook them up, you'd have to open up all the boxes
and puzzle out the wiring. There's many different ways they could be
hooked up and it is difficult to determine from here which you have

nate

You can't use a four way as a substitute for a 3-way. There's no common
terminal on a four way switch.