Posted to comp.home.automation,alt.home.repair
Joe Pfeiffer Joe Pfeiffer is offline

Default Web Enabled Time/Temp/Humidity and I/O Controller

"petem" writes:

"RickH" a écrit dans le message de
groupe de discussion :
On Nov 3, 3:02 pm, "Bill Kearney" wrote:
The problem is WOL still requires you to have at least one computer
already powered up, then that computer can receive the WOL

No, it doesn't. A router that can send the WOL packet can wake a PC
listening for it. No added PC necessary. Just that the PC you intend to
wake up needs to have WOL built into it.

Alternatively you could use a router that has a serial port and use
that to
control a relay that will listen to RS232. Bit more of a
jump-through-hoops
sort of solution though.

-Bill Kearney

If my PC has no power applied to it how can it possibly "listen" to
anything. I want it completely powered off, not on standby.

An ATX pc is never really off..

In fact part of the MB is still under power..

how do you think the pc turn on just by the press of a small momentary
switch...

Well, you're right that an ATX PC is never truly off. But a circuit
that would go truly off, but could power up with a switch like ATX,
wouldn't be hard.

you can even see that the MB is under power by looking at inside the
box while the system is supposed to be off. you will see at least one
led on..

And, as I understand it, an ATX computer that is "off" can wake-on-lan.
I've got no idea how much power an ATX machine draws when "off".

But they also have a switch on the back which is "truly off". What the
OP is looking for would end up being the equivalent of hitting that
switch.