Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default US: Chinese drywall not harmful

HeyBub wrote:
"[WASHINGTON] Federal product-safety regulators said Thursday that their
sampling of Chinese drywall emits higher concentrations of sulfur gases and
strontium than U.S.-made product, but found no evidence so far that the
emissions were to blame for health problems and metal corrosion reported by
at least 1,900 U.S. homeowners."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125682903154416173.html

Who to believe? The government or your own watery eyes?

Let me think...

A couple other drywall factoids I got from a friend:
Drywall can contain asbestos. If a material contains less than 1%
asbestos it is not regulated [1% seems rather high to me]. Some Chinese
drywall has been found to have 3% asbestos.

Drywall contains gypsum (it is also called gypsum board). Gypsum is
calcium sulfate, so 'normal' drywall contains sulfur (but bound in the
gypsum molecule).