Posted to alt.home.repair
Matt[_9_] Matt[_9_] is offline

Default furnace blower sticks on

On Nov 6, 1:15*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Nov 5, 8:15*pm, mm wrote:

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 17:40:13 -0800 (PST), Matt
wrote:

I have a York Stellar furnace that is 16 years old. *After the heat
cycles on and off, the blower will occassionally stay running. *If I
tap the fan/limit control very lightly the metal disk unsticks,
jiggles a bit, and then the blower shuts off. *Then it may work fine
for a few cycles, but sooner or later it will stick on again and need
to be tapped.

You should be able to find a tapper at a reasonable charge. *The Home
Depot parking lot is a good place to look, or Craigs list whereever au
peres are listed. *When the burner is on and the blower should be
running, since he's in the basement, he can do laundry or something.

I assume that this is the part that needs to be
repaired, but is it pretty easy? *The fan/limit control is a
Honeywell, so I assume I can find the model/part# and get a
replacement or just take the old one in. *I've attached a pic at
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/2626/img1509fo.jpg

Should the lower limit switch really be set at 50? *Or is that for AC
too? *(I don't have a control like that, for some reason.)

I don't see the metal disk, but it seems if it sticks, one needs to
find where it sticks and either bend whatever it touches away from it,
or file down the disk a little at that point. *But I have no idea how
your gizmo work or what I'm talking about. * Except that filing seems
preferable to buying another one.

Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

The contacts will spark from breaking the curent when the contact
opens as the temperature in the plenum gets cooler. *The sparking
roughs up the surface causing little pits and valleys. *Eventually the
pits stick in the valleys and the contact does not open. *If you can
get near them, a women's emery stick for filing nails can be used to
smooth the surface and keep the switch working for several months. *I
have to use an emery board on our 50 year-old gas furnace about every
2 years when the blower does not shut off after the air has cooled
(when on the Heat setting).

Thanks for the advice Bob. Where are the contacts? Do I likely have
to take the fan/limit control off the furnace or take the whole thing
apart? No problem doing that, I just want to know what I'm looking
for.

Thanks