Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default slate or marble coasters

"Nonny" wrote in message
This involves a wood holder, so relax. grin

On a number of occasions, I made coasters of either slate or marble,
complete with a ground in recess for the drink and a cork backing. Over
the years, I'd guess I made around 500-600 of them in batches of different
sizes, mostly to give away in sets. The majority of the sets were 8
coasters, wrapped with a tape, and handed out to house guests, at
Christmas, to friends of the kids or relatives.

They always began as slate or marble 12" tiles, which I cut on my diamond
wet saw to 3-7/8" squares. Cut, rinsed and left to dry, I could proceed
at my leisure, using jigs I'd built and improved upon over the years.

So how well does that stone soak up condensation from a cold drink?