Posted to uk.d-i-y
JimK[_2_] JimK[_2_] is offline

Default Old LaserJet 5 with paper jam

On 6 Nov, 07:35, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 20:26:34 -0600, Jules wrote:
On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 00:01:22 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 15:47:20 -0600, Jules wrote:

I've been trying to convince the missus that we need an old laserjet
lately (we're both sick of the inkjet she has) and I like their
reputation for being built like tanks and reasonably easy to fix when
they do break.

Tell her the one I use every day was built just after you left
university....

:-) I'll work on it... whilst a modern laser might be faster and do more
stuff, I still think an old 4- or 5- will outlast it, and we don't print
huge docs where the speed's an issue (hmm, can you overclock a laserjet?

Problem is new lasers are stupidly cheap this side of the Atlantic, so
by the time I've bought a laserjet and paid for shipping there's not a
lot in it - and then there's the risk of being sold a lemon if I can't
see the physical printer before buying.

I bought my last two from a town 10 miles away (Faversham) and collected
myself. More difficult in the US though! Paid 7 quid for those
two....both non-working but took a total of about 40 minutes to fix both
of them.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Just been to my folks and I got the symptom wrong on the faulty LJ 5p
- apparently what happens is that if you print a document, when the
first page exits, unless it is removed from the hopper, there is a
"paper jam" and printing stops. If you sit there and remove the
printed pages as they appear all is well......if infuriating....

TIA

JimK