Posted to uk.d-i-y
mark mark is offline

Default Pre-mitred kitchen worktops

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. ..
Perry (News) wrote:
On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 10:24:32 -0000, "mark"
waxed lyrical about:

"Perry (News)" wrote in message
I'm replacing the worktops in our utility room which, in itself,
isn't a problem as it's a nice, rectangular shape with worktops
down two sides, but I need a mitred right-angle join - I've never
cut one of these before and understand that it's a bit of a steep
learning curve for a one-off job, so I wondered if anyone knows
anywhere around the Worthing/Brighton area that will sell a worktop
pre-mitred and routed for the butterfly bolts

Perry

Usually done on site and not cheap.
It's not really a steep learning curve if you've a proper template
and a router.

As a precaution don't cut the worktops to length until the mitre is
done. Then you'll have scope for another go if you b. it up.

mark

OK it looks like I'll have to attempt it... gulp

I've found this set of instructions
http://www.raygirling.com/wtjig.htm
which seem clear and easy enough to follow

And a worktop jig (with a free router bit) on eBay - does this look
OK? - and the same seller does the bolts.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Worktop-Jig-70...item3350838ed3

Although, given the cost of the jig and the bolts I could probably pay
someone to do it with less chance of a cock-up... but, there again,
next time I'll have all the necessary bits...

Are joint strips soooo bad? Masons mitre joints are a 'must have' fashion
accessory IMO. A right PITA to cut, and bloody unreliable - I've seen
loads & loads that have come adrift. Once adrift they are buggered, let
water in & look horrible.

I disagree that mason mitres are a must have fashion . They make a kitchen
look finished. Why would they come adrift if done properly? I seal the raw
edges of mine and run in a squidge of similar coloured silcon. If the
underside bolts are tightened and the work top is fixed to the units, it
doesn't stand a lot of chance of coming adrift.

As for coming adrift and looking horrible, the metal strips look horrible
from day one, especially with a thin strip of trapped crud down either edge.
It all comes down to what standards you set yourself I suppose.

mark

mark