Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh William R. Walsh is offline

Default Hardware flakiness (Windoze BSOD)

Hi!

Yes. Pretty sure the Advansys is auto-terminating.

Set it manually if you can. With a mix of internal and external devices, the
adapter should *not* be terminating in most cases.

The thing I was *really* hoping to discover--and it may be my fault for
not having been more clear in my original message--is why the Blue Screen
of Death, even assuming some sort of SCSI error due to my cobbled-up
cable? I mean, shouldn't the OS be able to handle a SCSI error without
abandoning ship? That's what I meant by "****-poor SCSI handing". I can't
imagine, for example, that a Sun workstation would be brought to its knees
by a bad SCSI cable.

Heh. :-)

When SCSI screws up, it *really* screws up. Some host adapters take it
better than do others, but I guarantee you that it is possible to knock over
almost any SCSI setup when certain things happen.

William