Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bruce[_8_] Bruce[_8_] is offline

Default B&Q self checkout machines

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 20:03:02 +0000, Rod
wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 22:33:32 +0000, Bruce wrote:

The announcements are either an HSE requirement ...

Crikey are they that LOUD and preceeded by a BING BONG?

They are that loud. There are two parallel flights (one up, one down)
and two flights (one from ground to the sort of mezzanine level and a
second from there up to the car park level). The whole affair is in a
large foyer area with hard, echoic walls, floors and ceilings. And there
are speakers at the end of every belt which sound when anyone on a belt
gets near the end - whether or not they have a trolley to push off the
end of it.

So on a busy day they can be going off simultaneously on all four belt
ends. And the extra bing bongs in the lifts... (Actually, I'm not sure
that they don't also announce 'Hold onto the handrail at the start of
each belt as well.)

Yes, they do.

I was there this evening, going up and down the darn things several
times, and the announcements were beginning to drive me mad.

And there's another pair of belts inside the store.

I have been meaning to take a voice recorder with me because it sounds
more like the soundtrack from a modern Radio 4 play about a dystopian
future - but on R4 they would not have it as loud.

True. ;-)