Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old LaserJet 5 with paper jam

JimK wrote:
On 5 Nov, 21:47, Jules
wrote:
On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 20:27:22 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 20:20:30 +0000, Dave wrote:
The roller tyres gets impregnated with paper dust and it makes them
slippy instead of grippy.
That's something to keep in mind. Thanks.
IME, they just get old and hard with age. I've seen 'rubber roller
restorer' but never tried any;

I've heard of castor oil working well to cure hardness issues on rubber
parts, but I don't know if it's prone to causing staining when it contacts
the paper (not very useful in a printer). Might be one for someone to try
sometime though if they're otherwise just going to order new rollers.

I've been trying to convince the missus that we need an old laserjet
lately (we're both sick of the inkjet she has) and I like their
reputation for being built like tanks and reasonably easy to fix when
they do break.

yeah I'll look out for you on ebay then!
I fondly remember these laserjets from my time in academia in the 90s
- didn;t realise until this thread, that they were regarded so well -
I fancy one too! Inkjets are sh1te :))

JimK

I'm on my second ebay derived laserjet 6MP, the first having died from
being ****ed on by the cat.

So if anyone needs spares..oh. No. WE threw the stripped chassis in the
skip.

Anwyay the 6MP is a fine machine. £50 every couple of years for a
genuine new HP drum/toner assy, or chance your arm with a refill.

Friend has 2 Ricoh A3 color lasers..few hundred each. Just don't use 3rd
party ink..destroyed one..which is how he ended up with two..one P/ex on
the old, the second hastily bought in off ebay.

loads of offices going bust or being downsized. great time too buy S/H
or refurbed kit.