Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Laser printer gloat

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 07:45:31 -0500, Meat Plow
wrote:

They upgraded to a 6p dual tray and gave
me the 4 rather than binning it. That was in 2001.

About 6 months ago, also I recycled 3ea HP LJ 6p printers I was saving
for parts. I was down to one customer with a 6mp so it wasn't worth
saving much. I needed the space more than the parts. I built up one
printer and gave it to the neighbors kids. No complaints so I guess
they're either using it effectively for school work, or have totally
destroyed it by now.

The 6p was reasonably state-o-de-art in 2001 but is a loser by today's
standards. It's very slow (8ppm), very slow to start (90 sec), a
slight power hog, and a desk space hog. 600dpi is ok for everything
except photographs. There are a few minor mechanical issues, but
basically it's a decent printer (once it warms up). I don't like the
large footprint, but the fairly low profile offers opportunities to
hide the printer where the taller equivalents (i.e. LJ4) don't fit. As
long as the rubber parts are clean and soft, I haven't seen many paper
misfeeds. The HP 03A toner cart is rated at about 4000 pages (at 5%
coverage), and seems to deliver (I've never kept track).

Most of the real failures I've seen on the HP LJ 6p series were blown
electronics. There doesn't seem to be a pattern as most were caused
by power glitches which seems to do random damage. I usually replace
the main pickup roller on the 6P and similar construction 4P when
diving in because it usually requires total disassembly to replace the
roller and I might as well do it while disassembled.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D