Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim Schwartz[_2_] Tim Schwartz[_2_] is offline

Default 12AX7, 7025, ECC83. ETC

wrote:
I have a Fender reissue model guitar amp in for service. It has 2
Fender 12AX7's that are microphonic. These are Chinese manufacture. I
have replaced them with 5814's which is some sort of 12AU7 type just
to get the amp working. There is no more microphonic problem, however
the amplifier sensitivity is now somewhat lower so perhaps that may
have a bearing on this. I realise that I have no 12AX7's in the shop
at all and would like to buy several, two for this amplifier and two
or three for stock. I was looking at NOS and JAN types online and
would like to go with either but I suffered real sticker shock when I
noticed the prices. I don't have much faith in the Russian or Chinese
tubes so I was hoping that someone could offer some advice as to a
source for good preamp tubes either new or tested used, and ones that
I don't have to worry about microphonics. Thanks, Lenny.

Dave,

I've had good success with the JJ/Tesla tubes (from Slovakia as I
recall) They usually run around $10-15 each. One vendor that has them
is Antique Electronic Supply (
www.tubesandmore.com). They have various
grades of the things. I'm speaking form a standpoint of reliability.
We could have an endless discussion (and tread) about the sound quality
of various tubes which I'd rather avoid.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics