Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default furnace blowing all the heat up the chimney

wrote in message
I'm tired of people telling me that there's nothing wrong with my
furnace. There is something wrong with my furnace.

It's a 10-year-old Amana 45,000 BTU, 80% efficient unit in a 1300
square foot ranch style house. This is my 4th winter in this house,
and I'm sick of being limited to one habitable room all winter.

The air coming out of the vents is cool, around 70 degreees according
to my thermometer. The exhaust to the chimney is smokin' hot. The
plenum does not get perceptibly warm.

The pros say there's nothing wrong.

My first thought is that the unit is a bit on the small size for that house
but I don't know the construction. That said, if it has been there for 10
years it must have done the job at some point. You should be getting more
than 70 degree air While the stack will be hot, it may be much more than
needed. Sounds like there could be a problem with the heat exchanger if
heated air is getting by. I think what you really need as a more competent
service tech. They should be taking the temperature of both the stack and
the plenum.