Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] a2rjh@altavista.net is offline

Default Phone Line trouble after removing security system

On Nov 4, 10:28*am, drew wrote:
The house that I bought had an old CPI security system that hadn't
been used in years and I did not see the need for a system so the
other day I was looking at the huge panel in my coat closet and
realized that I had both power and a phone line in a nice handy box.
So I disconnect the security panel and pitch it. *I plug the modem
into the phone jack and the wall outlet and set up my wireless
router. *I cleaned up and check the internet and it works great. *So I
go about my business for a couple of days and realized I hadn't been
harassed by a telemarketer in a while (we like most people these days
use their cell phone for everything, the only reason I have a home
phone is for DSL). *I pick up my land line and there is no dial tone.
I check the other three phone outlets in the house and they are all
dead. *So I start thinking about the problem and hook up the phone to
the outlet in the closet and lo and behold I get a dial tone. *I take
the router and modem and hook it up at another outlet and dsl works.

When I removed the security system circuit board from the closet, I
assumed the wires that screwed into the circuit board went to the
smoke detectors and door sensors. *The board had a phone line plus
plug that plugged into the phone outlet in the closet.

Does anybody have any ideas on what might be going on? Here is what I
have sticking out my box. *I have three 4 strand phone type wire
(Black, Green, Red, Yellow) and three 2 strand wire (black,red). *I
pulled the sensors off the door and they seem to correspond to the
black and red *(three exterior doors). I would assumed one of the 4
strand wires would have to go the the security panel. I am guessing
that at least one of the other 4 strand wires goes to my smoke
detectors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You did not say whether each of the line had a DSL filter installed