Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Colin Trunt Colin Trunt is offline

Default Hissing TV.

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 01:33:55 -0000, "Colin Trunt"
wrote:

snip for brevity

Well...switched on this morning and.... no blurry picture!!!

However it was hissing a bit, I can't see no arcing however it's
hard to see with the back on, the hissing seems to have stopped now.

I thought putting the back on would help, I think the same happened
with my last TV but I can' remember clearly.
It seems to me it is effecting the capacitance in some way or whatever.

I an not sure about all this flyback stuuf and how it works
and why the tube is involved. Is the tube used as a smoothing capacitor?

Regarding solvents I know water works because I have to clean up
smoke deposits else where and I just use water and maybe some
detergent.,
with white spirist everything smells of alcohol.

Well I can't remember when reinstalling a TV back sharpened up a focus
problem but I guess I've not seen every little oddity.

Well all the evidence I have seen is that it does!!
It was fine this morning, it hiss a bit but that has dissapeared totally.

I am tempted to take the back off again and see what it is like
when it fires up in the morning, however I don't think I have done
my back any favours lugging it up and down from it's normal resting spot.

Well maybe in the name of closure but I think it's best to leave
sleeping dogs lie.

I can perhaps see why it would cause a difference to the capacitive
characteristics of the tube, particularly if the back is covered in smoke
deposits.
I have a feeling I had the same with the old set, that is why I mentioned
it before I tried it I think.

If I recall the focus grid on a larger CRT is upawards of 200 volts.
It's just hard for me to vision the back of your tv effects the focus,
And I've seen some focus adjustments that were not accesable unless
the back was removed. Oh at least you've got a watchable set for now.

Very true, there is certainly no focus adjustment visable with the cover on.
Maybe I will give it a test some time but I will leave it for the moment.