Posted to alt.home.repair
DT[_2_] DT[_2_] is offline

Default furnace blowing all the heat up the chimney

In article
,
says...
I'm tired of people telling me that there's nothing wrong with my
furnace. There is something wrong with my furnace.

It's a 10-year-old Amana 45,000 BTU, 80% efficient unit in a 1300
square foot ranch style house. This is my 4th winter in this house,
and I'm sick of being limited to one habitable room all winter.

The air coming out of the vents is cool, around 70 degreees according
to my thermometer. The exhaust to the chimney is smokin' hot. The
plenum does not get perceptibly warm.

Boy, it sure doesn't seem right. I have a 10 year old, 80% efficient
60,000 btu Armstrong furnace for my 1500 sf house in northern Ohio. It
puts out 115 degree air at the register closest to the furnace. The
double walled flue is hot, but I can place my hand on it. The plenum is,
of course, quite hot. I insulated it with high temperature fiberglass.

The house is well insulated with ducted returns and easily heats all
rooms over 70 degrees in 15 below zero weather, and only runs about half
the time under those conditions.

For starters, is the rerun air ducted, or is it an open return system?

--
Dennis