Posted to sci.electronics.repair
AZ Nomad[_2_] AZ Nomad[_2_] is offline

Default Kill-a-Watt surprises

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 22:16:35 -0000, Jeff Layman wrote:
N_Cook wrote:

I bought a set-top box (UK Freeview) and thought to myself
"hang on a bit the box is as warm with green LED on as on red standby"
I measured consumed watts in both states and standby is 80 percent of the
on state. I put in a hard on/off switch , data held in EEProm or whatever
and no difference in function except programme info pages takes a couple
of minutes to gather

What is meant by "standby"? You may think you know (as I thought I did,
too), but it isn't that simple. See he
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...75-of-time.ars

It's not just Sony. I queried Panasonic about the regular clicking from my
LCD TV, even when it was in "Standby" mode, and also the less-than-green
readings I was getting from a power meter attached to it (15w in standby,
and 30w when it clicked. I do not know what the power factor of the TV is,
so do not know how these figures correlate with Panasonic's stated standby
consumption of 0.3w, but they don't seem very different from those reported
with the Sony). This was their reply:

that's impressive. I just took my killowatt from storage and measured a few
devices. 50" panasonic plasma: on 340watts, off less than 1. 32" polaroid lcd:
130 Watts on, less than 1 off.

diskless computer for mythtv remote (1.8ghz amd64, 2G ram), 25 watts on, no
standby mode. Scientific Atlanta HD cable box, 20 watts on/standby.

No surprises. I knew the cable box was a pig, about the same as a computer
left running 24x7.