Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts David WE Roberts is offline

Default Fitting stainless steel insect mesh into door

"Tim" no wrote in message
. ..
Hi

I need some advice on the best way to fit stainless steel insect mesh into
a softwood timber door. The door is a two panel design and the mesh is
going in the top panel.

Size of opening is 430 x 1285mm with a 35 wide x 15mm deep rebate to fit
the panel of mesh in.
The mesh spec is, Stainless Woven Wire Mesh Size 16 mesh - 1.2 mm aperture

I'd like to stretch the mesh like a canvas to get it taught and flat but
haven't a clue how to do it in a way that can be hidden in a rebate that
size. Has anyone done something like this before?

The insect mesh on our camper door (fabric, not stainless) is stretched by
pushing a round rubber strip into a channel all round the edge.
This both tensions and holds the mesh.
This might work with a very flexible and light steel mesh.

Alternatively you could decide to use a heavier weight of steel mesh so that
it is rigid and doesn't need stretching, in which case I assume you would
fit it just like a pane of glass.

Cheers

Dave R