Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bruce[_8_] Bruce[_8_] is offline

Default B&Q self checkout machines

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 19:39:30 +0000, Rod
wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Still not fixed today.

But what a fine store! Light and airy, with everything well
presented. Truly a 21st century supermarket.

In many ways yes. But for the noise from the various 'get ready to push
your trolley off the conveyor' and other automatic announcements.
Overlapping and echoing. Deafening big bongs in the lift. A truly
hideous auditory environment.[1]

That's true, but it is also true of just about any supermarket with
the Travolators.

But the chillers are quieter than in most of the others supermarkets.

Also true. Very strange for Wycombe!

Perhaps the kids *are* noisy but the noise just evaporates into all
that space?

[1] OK - paid up grumpy git but I do have near permanent tinnitus and
find myself extra sensitive to noise.

Same here. My hearing is very acute, too, which means I pick up
*every* sound.