Posted to alt.home.repair

Default heater guy says replace furnace/AC

On Nov 3, 11:16*am, "Bill" wrote:
"JRStern" *wrote in message
When can these things be repaired, versus being replaced?

As you live in L.A. and it is not very cold there and not very hot in the
summer, I would say get it repaired if the cost to repair is less than about
50% of the replacement cost.

IMO, You'd have to be nuts to put anyhwere near 50% of the replacement
cost into a 25 year old gas furnace. That is the typical life
expectancy for units of that era. With all the rebates and credits
available around here, NJ, which certainly is one of the more
expensive area, you can get a new furance and AC installed for about
$5000 after rebates and tax credit. Now way I'd sink say $2400 into
a 25 year old unit.

If you lived up north where heating is a major expense, then it would be a
good idea to replace it now rather than later because the energy savings on
new units would help to pay for it.

How about after he spends $2400 on it, two year later it has another
major failure?

Or if you lived in Arizona with summer temperatures frequently around 110
F., then replace the A/C as the newer units can save quite a bit of
electricity and A/C is a major expense there.

Replacing just the AC on a 25 year old gas furnace makes no sense to
me. Especially with all the rebates and credits available right now
that knock thousands off the actual cost.