Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Insulating block wall garage

Contact a local foam insulation contractor to get a quote on
injecting expanding foam into the block cells. This is a normal
installation on commercial work. It involves drilling small holes
above and below any trough blocks in every block cell line. The
foam looks strange as it oozes out of the holes, but once cured
and cut off flush with the block face it is undetectable, ready
for paint.

Very cost effective.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Tony" wrote in message
Part of my garage was going to be below grade so to make things
easy, we did the whole 1st floor block. Now I'm really
regretting it due to high heating and cooling costs. My
original plans were to stucco the outside of the block. It
looks like 10 times the work and a lot more money to put 1/2" or
3/4" foam panels, then wire lath, then stucco. Besides the
obvious I'd have to tear out and redo 3 windows, one door, and
do something up top were the stucco would now meet the vinyl
soffit to allow room for the foam panels. I know the foam
panels aren't the best insulation, but it would triple or
quadruple the current r-value of 8" block (about 1.11 r-value).

My other choices of course include framing and insulation the
inside of the block walls. Or maybe the foam panels outside
with something else besides stucco covering it? I suppose it
doesn't have to look as nice as I had hoped since only the front
with 2 garage doors will really show. With the garage doors
covering most of the square footage of the front wall, I could
still just stucco that part right over the block. What about not
framing out the inside, gluing 1" foam on the inside and cover
it with drywall. But screwing drywall to block doesn't sound
like fun? What if the drywall was glued onto the foam panels
which is also glued to the block, and just had a few screws to
hold until the glue set up. I'm picturing blue screws with
fender washers, not a pretty sight, but it is just a
garage/workshop.

Open to all... well, MOST suggestions.