Posted to sci.electronics.repair
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default Hardware flakiness (Windoze BSOD)

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 17:25:13 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 11/3/2009 5:12 PM Warren Block spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 11/3/2009 2:20 PM Baron spake thus:

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 00:27:20 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

And the fact that I don't have a terminator on the scanner might
not be helping, either. But as I said, when it works I can do
many scans with no problems.

Isn't the Snapscan internally terminated ? ie only has a single 25 pin
data socket.

Nope; it has 2 sockets, and no termination switches that I can see, so
I'm ASSuming it's unterminated. (Most SCSI devices like this have two
sockets for daisy-chaining.)

With the cable as short as possible and no other devices, that can work
acceptably (FSVO "acceptably"). Anything more than a terminated
controller at the other end and all bets are off. Add a terminator,
preferably active, and it might even be trustworthy.

Yes. Pretty sure the Advansys is auto-terminating.

The thing I was *really* hoping to discover--and it may be my fault for
not having been more clear in my original message--is why the Blue
Screen of Death, even assuming some sort of SCSI error due to my
cobbled-up cable?

Corrupted data including an invalid length, causing overwriting of the
buffers. First step is terminat the scanner, terminators should be
easy to find and probably free if you ask nicely. Try a local computer
repair shop that has been in business for over 10 years, likely they
have abox of 'em and don't know what to do with it. Pay shipping and
I'll send you one. Without termination (and probably without a good
cable) it will continue to be spastic...

I mean, shouldn't the OS be able to handle a SCSI
error without abandoning ship? That's what I meant by "****-poor SCSI
handing". I can't imagine, for example, that a Sun workstation would be
brought to its knees by a bad SCSI cable.

I'm just wondering what's going on there in driver-land, or HAL-land, or
wherever the problem may be.