Posted to sci.electronics.repair
baron baron is offline

Default Laser printer gloat

David Nebenzahl Inscribed thus:

This inspired by the mini-thread in the thread up yonder about HP
DeskJet printers. Actually something of a reverse gloat, along the
lines of "my old printer still works; does yours?".

Got my HP LaserJet 2100M (600 DPI w/PostScript capability) ca. 2000.
Not only is the printer still working perfectly, but I'm still using
the same cartridge I got with it!

Which is a little puzzling; while the printer hasn't exactly been used
in a production environment, I have put plenty of pages through it:
printed out many entire manuals, etc. I'm just waiting for the
cartridge to empty out, but it still hasn't come close. (I even have a
2nd cartridge I got with the printer, still in its foil package.)

If I remember correctly the toner cartridge was good for about 10K
pages.

One thing I really don't like about this, and really most HP printers
that I've used, is that it hates to print on the back of printed
sheets. Usually it eats/shreds about half the sheets one tries to
print this way. Yeah, I know, you can get HPs with "duplex" options,
but to me, that's utter bull****. I remember the old Panasonic laser
printer my old office had. It was a huge beast, and certainly no
better than the HP we also had at the time (LJ 4???), but the
Panasonic would feed *any* paper you put into it, even if it had just
been run through the printer on one side. I'd always use it to print
out my manuals on 2 sides for proofing.

Other than this, the LaserJet is a fine piece of equipment.

The old Panasonic's were great printers ! As you remark it would print
on anything including the back of already printed sheets. Ours was
used with two and three part NCR paper. The hard part was the software
to ensure that it registered and collated properly.

The bottled toner was very cheap as well which made the machine very
economical compared to similar machines.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.