Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Stanley buys B&D

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message
LouB wrote:
http://www.marke****ch.com/story/sta...ker-2009-11-02

found via http://tinyurl.com/yf9u7yl or
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=stanley+buys+
lou

Stanley makes hand tools. B&D make power tools. I don't see a relation.

The relation is that they both had good reputations years ago and they both
have cut quality.

Ain't that the sad truth. I keep a cheap set of tools at the office, so
I don't cry too hard when an item grows legs, like they almost always
do. Stanley used to be my first choice for 'good enough' for that
application. I went to replace a few missing items a couple months back,
and the Stanley screwdrivers and pliers now feel a whole lot cheaper
than they used to. That is how I pick hand tools, if the store allows
hefting individual tools, versus staring through the damn blister-pack.
A good tool just looks and feels right, balances naturally, doesn't
smell funny, etc. The only brand I have got that feel from lately is
Klein. I'm sure there are other good brands out there, but the Klein
mini-kit was a present to myself, to match some older items I got at a
garage sale, well-scarred but still usable. (Trying to motivate myself
to finish cleaning up the basement wiring...)

--
aem sends...