Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Laser printer gloat

On 11/3/2009 8:35 PM Jeff Liebermann spake thus:

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 16:56:06 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

One thing I really don't like about this, and really most HP
printers that I've used, is that it hates to print on the back of
printed sheets. Usually it eats/shreds about half the sheets one
tries to print this way.

True. The printers expect the pages to be flat. Pages that have gone
through the printer tend to be slightly warped. That causes paper
jams.

Exactly. (And to the person in this thread who responded to this with
"bull****", I say "bull****!" right back atcha.)

In case I wasn't clear, the problem I was referring to was printing a
document on both front and back, where you first print the odd pages,
then run the stack back through on the other side and print the even pages.

Every non-duplexing HP LaserJet I've ever seen will **** up and jam if
you try to do this. The problem, as you said, is the curl imparted to
the paper by the fuser. I have had some success taking the first-printed
stack and "working" it vigorously to remove the curl, but it's a pain in
the ass, and not guaranteed to work.

Since there are other laser printers that don't have this problem, I can
only conclude that HP LaserJets have inferior feed mechanisms.

And I do know what the hell I'm talking about: in a previous life I was
a printer (as in a real printing press, not desktop computer printers),
so I've dealt with lots of machines that eat paper.

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet